FRESHMEN 12; SOPHOMORES 10.

The Ninety-Eight Eleven Loses by a Missed Goal.

Last Thursday's draw between '98 and '99 was played off yesterday afternoon in a very close and exciting game, which the freshmen won by the score of 12 to 10. The game was throughout an exhibition of good individual play, the team work being ragged on both sides. Of the two the freshman team played better together.

For '98 Cozzens and Knox ran well and Manning tackled very hard and low-Bouve and Burrage did the best work in the line, and Marvin at centre, also followed the ball closely. For '99, Dibblee punted well, Adams and Dayton made good runs, but the surest ground gainers were Holden and Sagent, the tackles. Holden's word was especially good. Farley, at quarter played his position well and tackled hard. Cochrane, at right end, made two long runs.

In the first half '98 kicked off and Cochrane brought the ball back almost to the middle of the field, by a brilliant run. Dibblee punted, and Cozzens made 40 yards round left end. The whole '98 team then played a quick, snappy game, and several short gains were made in succession through the line. The ball was dropped twice, but recovered both times by Burrage. Manning at length made the first touchdown, but failed to kick a very easy goal.

'99 now played an aggressive game, with good gains by Holden and Sargent, but '98 was always able to get the ball and recover the lost ground by kicking, until Cochrane made a long run and a touchdown around left end. Adams punted out to Dibblee and succeeded in kicking a very difficult goal. For the rest of the half punting was frequent. When time was called, '99 had the ball on '98's 5 yard line.

In the second half '99 advanced the ball steadily, by short rushes through tackle, and finally Sargent was pushed over the line. Adams kicked the goal.

Ninety-eight forced the play and at length Wadsworth scored a touchdown on a double pass. Hennen kicked the goal. No further scoring was done. Time was called while '99 had the ball on '98's 20 yard line.

The line-up follows:

NINETY-EIGHT. NINETY-NINE.

Curtis, l. e. r. e., Cochrane.

Rice, l. t. r. t., Sargent.

Bouve, l. g. r. g., White.

Marvin, c. c., Fairbanks.

Hennen, r. g., l. g., Lloyd.

Burrage, Adams, r. t. l. t., Holden.

Wadsworth, r. e. l. e., Richardson.

Valentine, q. b., q. b., Farley.

Cozzens, h. b. h. b., Dayton.

Knox, h. b. h. b., Adams.

Manning, Flint, f. b. f. b., Dibblee.

Time, two 15 minute halves. Referee, Dean; umpire, Rantoul; linesman, Garrison.