The University of Pennsylvania, with its 2,500 students, has never possessed facilities for housing its many students. During the provostship of Dr. William Pepper methods of properly accommodating the students were suggested, but not until Provost Harrison assumed office was the movement for dormitories practically begun. Plans for a dormitory system were drawn up, and contributions amounting to nearly $1,000,000 were secured. The system consists of a continuous row of cottages, modelled after the Oxford University cottages, which will enclose a magnificent quadrangle. Entrance to the dormitories will be from the quadrangle only. The cottages will be three stories in height, each cottage accommodating, with sleeping, study and bathrooms, from twelve to fourteen students. There will be forty-four buildings, connecting with each other and forming one structure broken only by gateways. Sixteen of the cottages are already in course of erection. Each cottage will be named after the person contributing $10,000.
Rising above the living-quarters of the students will be a chapel and dining-hall, the former accommodating 1,000 and the latter 600 students. A part of the dormitories will be ready for occupancy in October, 1896, and will accommodate 300 students.