Literary Notices.

Two volumes of selected essays from the writings of John Stuart Mill will be added at once to "Bohn's Library."

One of the most important of the Christmas books is a work on "The Makers of Modern Rom," by Mrs. Oliphant, beautifully illustrated by Joseph Pennell and Briton Riviere. In it Mrs. Oliphant does for Rome what she has already done so successfully for Florence and Venice, and completes a series of striking value and interest.

"We understand," writes The Academy, "That Mr. George Saintsbury is withdrawing from all literary work not closely connected with the subjects of the chair at Edinburgh to which he has been appointed. He will, however, still contribute the prefaces to Macmillan and Co.'s edition of "Balzac," which were entirely written before the appointment."

McClure's magazine for January is to have an article giving the whole story (never yet published, but long desired by the public) of Mr. Blaine's relation to his own candidacy for the Presidency in 1884. It is written by Murat Halstead, whose opportunity for knowing all the facts was unequaled; and it embodies conversations with Blaine and an important unpublished letter written by him a few days after his defeat. Some very interesting portraits will accompany the article, and the Blaine letter will be reproduced in facsimile.