The Sailor Mission.

Several years ago efforts were made by members of the Christian Association to carry on mission work among the sailors in Boston Harbor. The work was continued for some time under difficulties, but was finally abandoned. Last year it was again taken up. The possibilities for good in such a work among the sailors led to the permanent organization at the beginning of the present college year, of the sailor mission under the leadership of E. von Mach. About twenty-five men joined.

The purpose of the organization is to conduct services among the large number of sailors in Boston harbor on Sunday who do not attend church in the city, either from the fear that their clothes are not suitable to wear at church services or from the feeling that they need the entire day for rest. The services were at first held on the wharves in the open air or on the vessels in the harbor. But it was soon thought best by the members of the mission to limit their efforts to the sailors at T wharf and to secure a regular place for their meetings. After a great deal of difficulty and delay they gained the permission of the directors of the wharf to use the Directors' Hall.

The services are as simple and interesting as possible. They are held every Sunday at ten o'clock and are conducted by from five to ten members of the mission. They consist of the singing of several hymns, prayer, reading from the Bible, and short talks by two of the leaders. Last Sunday for the first time a bible class was held.

The difficulties to be overcome in this undertaking can be realized when it is known that the audiences at these meetings are continually changing. Many of the sailors, after a stay in the harbor including but one Sunday, sail away not to return for several weeks or months, or possibly not at all. To make these meetings as widely known as possible a tablet, announcing the services, has been placed on the wharf and calendars with notices of them are placed in the cabins of all vessels lying over Sunday at the wharf.