Vesper Service.

The Vesper service yesterday was conducted by Rev. Francis G. Peabody, D. D., who took his text from the story of Christ and the centurion, Matthew 8: 10.

Christ praised the centurion because it was this soldierly quality that he wanted his disciples to have - the power to obey, and growing out of that, the power to command. We need to follow the centurion's example today. The scholar has first to learn to obey, to conform to rigid discipline, before he reaches the point where he is qualified to choose his own course of study. Obedience is the first lesson which the business man has to learn. In the moral world, training and discipline are absolutely necessary to the man who would withstand sudden temptation. He must have that power to command which grows out of the power to obey. This Jesus calls faith; it is that loyalty of love which makes a man trust his commander, and so makes him fit to be trusted in return. Jesus himself spoke with authority because he was under the authority of His Father.

The choir sang, "I will Greatly Rejoice," by Cruickshank; and "Keep Me, Saviour," by O. B. Brown. Master Garfield Stone sang "Angels Ever Bright and Fair," by Handel.