Harvard Puts Up a Brilliant Game and Leads for Six Innings.

Holy Cross defeated Harvard at Worcester yesterday by a score of 4 to 3. The game was intensely exciting and the result remained in doubt until the last man was put out. Harvard held the lead for six innings but in the seventh Highlands lost his head, making two errors, which, with two hits and a bad fumble by Wrenn, allowed three runs to be made and lost the game. Outside of this no fault could be found with his pitching. Pappalau also did well, keeping the hits well scattered. The playing of both sides was rather unsteady, though at times very brilliant. The feature of the game was a wonderful one-handed catch by Whittemore of a hot liner above his head. This catch was so unexpected that he had no trouble in completing a double play. He also made a good stop off Powers in the sixth inning. Winslow played well in the field, and succeeded in stealing third base by a fine slide. Wrenn accepted several hard chances but marred his record by several inexcusable errors. Scannell and Stevenson put up their usual reliable game. Rand distinguished himself by three clean singles and a good sacrifice.

For Holy Cross, Powers caught well and McTighe batted hard. The large crowd which was present had come to see a victory for the home nine and did what they could to win it by their constant yelling and abuse of the umpire. The latter official was extremely poor but had the merit of being impartial.

The game started with Holy Cross at the bat. Kelly made a hit, and Curley was given a base on balls, but was doubled up with Maroney on the latter's grounder to Whittemore. Powers went out.

For Harvard, Winslow and Whittemore went to first on balls, and Burgess on a muff of his fly. Scannell's hit brought in two runs.

In the second inning Sockalexis got around as far as third but was thrown out at the plate. Rand hit safely but was out trying to steal second. Highland's also made a single but was left on first.

Holy Cross then made her first run. Pappalau reached his base on a fumble by Wrenn, and scored on hits by Curley and Maroney. Clever fielding prevented more runs, for Maroney was caught between the bases and Curley who tried to score during this play was thrown out at the plate.

With one out Whittemore reached first on a muff of his fly, stole second base, and took third on Hayes' hit. The latter, however, failed to steal second, and Scannell's grounder was easily fielded to first base.

In the next inning Holy Cross made two hits but got no runs. Harvard was more fortunate. Rand's hit fell safe, Stevenson advanced him by a clever sacrifice, and he scored on a very wild pitch.

A long dispute took place in the fifth inning. With a man on first base a high fly was hit to Winslow who allowed the ball to fall to the ground and then threw to Whittemore who got the ball to Stevenson in time to complete the double play. The Holy Cross captain claimed that the batter was not out, and when this was not allowed he ordered his men off the field. He soon changed his mind however and the game proceeded.

Winslow reached third on two errors and a fine steal, but was left there, as Scannell struck out, being badly fooled by balls above his head.

Holy Cross went out in order. Wrenn hit safely and Rand sacrificed, but the next two men were easy victims.

Then came the fatal seventh inning. Wrenn fumbled an easy grounder hit by Sockalexis, the Indian. McTighe made a hit, and the next two batters knocked grounders to Highlands who missed both of them. Two runs came in. Kelley's hit was safe, but Rand got the ball to Scannell in time to cut off Pappalau, who was trying to score. Wrenn succeeded in throwing the next two men out after making good stops.

Winslow was left on second in Harvard's half of the inning, and in the eighth the score was almost tied. Rand made a good single, stole second and took third as the baseman fell down and allowed the ball to go to centre field. In the ninth Whittemore made his remarkable double play, and Harvard came to the bat for the last time amid great excitement. The best they could do, however, was to get Burgess to first on balls and the game was over.

The score:


A.B. R. B. P.O. A. E.