NINETY-SIX, 5; NINETY-FIVE, 1.

Juniors Easily Win the First Game of the Upper-Class Series.

The juniors had no trouble in winning the first game of their series with the seniors yesterday. The game, although not exciting, was well played and quite interesting. The crowd was not so large as it has been at the other class games and did not show much enthusiasm. The junior nine contained five men who have played with the 'varsity at one time or another and showed up very strongly. Ames proved very effective, allowing only four hits and giving no bases on balls. O'Malley gave him good support behind the bat, though his throwing to bases was not quite up to his usual standard. Whittemore and Griffin played steadily in the infield, and Selfridge and Paine made brilliant running catches.

For the seniors, Reed pitched fairly well, although a little wild at times, and Bacon played a reliable game. His throwing was very poor, however, and bases were stolen off him at will. Adams and Brown made some clever stops but also made some costly errors. Bigelow assisted in a pretty double play, catching Griffin's fly in short left field and throwing out O'Malley at the plate.

After a few innings had been played there ceased to be any doubt about the result, the only question being whether the game would end in a whitewash for the seniors or not. They managed to avert this catastrophe by scoring an earned run in the ninth inning on a hit by Dodge, a stolen base, and two timely sacrifices.

The first inning for the seniors was uneventful, Adams alone reaching first base, on Hoppin's fumble, but being thrown out trying to make second on the error. With one man out Wrenn made a single and stole second. Paine filed out and O'Malley followed with a hit, advancing Wrenn to third, and a moment later stole second himself. With two men on bases McCarthy struck out.

In the second inning Bent's grounder was poorly handled by Wrenn, the runner reaching first. Cassatt made a safe hit, but both men were left as Bacon flied out to Paine. The juniors were more fortunate, Ames and Selfridge were given bases on balls, and both scored on two sacrifices and O'Malley's hit. The latter also tried to come in on Brown's fumble of McCarthy's grounder, but was put out at the plate.

They scored their third run in the fifth on errors by Reed and Dodge and a wild pitch.

In the sixth Brown hit safely and stole second, but was thrown out in trying to steal third. The juniors made another run in their half of the inning, Whittemore reached first on errors, and got to third on a very wild pitch. He tried to score on Hoppin's infield hit and was safe as Bacon muffed the throw to the plate.

In the seventh with one man out, Paine made a single and stole second and third bases. O'Malley was presented with a base on balls, and McCarthy reached first on Adam's fumble, Paine scoring. Griffin hit a short fly which Bigelow caught on the run and then easily fielded O'Malley out at the plate.

The seniors went out in order in the ninth, when Dodge made their only run on his hit and steal of second base, followed by clever sacrifices by Brown and Adams.

The game was a remarkably short one, occupying only about an hour and a half.

The score:

NINETY-SIX .

A.B. R. B. P.O. A. E.

Selfridge, r.f. 3 1 0 2 0 0

Wrenn, 2b. 4 1 1 1 0 1

Paine, l.f. 4 1 1 3 1 0

O'Malley, c. 3 0 2 6 2 0

McCarthy, c.f. 3 0 0 1 0 0

Griffin. 1b. 4 0 1 12 0 0

Whittemore, s.s. 4 1 0 1 6 0

Hoppin, 3b. 4 0 0 1 2 2

Ames, p. 3 1 0 0 1 0

- - - - - -

Totals, 82 5 5 27 12 3

NINETY-FIVE.

A.B. R. B. P.O. A. E.

Dodge, 2b. 4 1 1 2 1 2

Brown, s.s. 4 0 1 3 6 2

Adams, 3b. 4 0 1 0 2 1

Bigelow, l.f. 4 0 0 3 1 0

Rogers, 1b. 3 0 0 10 0 1

Bent, c.f. 3 0 0 1 0 0

Cassatt, r.f. 3 0 1 0 0 0

Bacon, c. 3 0 0 5 3 1

Reed, p. 3 0 0 0 3 1

- - - - - -

Totals, 31 1 4 24 16 8

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Juniors, 0 0 2 0 1 1 1 0 -5

Seniors. 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 -1

Earned run - '95. Stolen bases-Wrenn 2. Paine 3, O'Malley 2, McCarthy, Hoppin, Ames 2, Dodge, Brown. Bases on balls - Selfridge, O'Malley, McCarthy, Ames. Struck out - McCarthy, Whittemore, Ames, Dodge, Adams, Rogers 2, Reed 2. Sacrifice hits - Wrenn, Paine, Brown, Adams. Wild pitches - Ames, Reed 2. Double plays - O'Malley and Griffin, Bigelow and Bacon. Umpire - Mullen. Time - 1h. 35m.