FIRST LINE-UP.

Football Candidates Practice the Signals and Plays.

Yesterday afternoon the candidates for the eleven had their first taste of practical football. All the preliminary work was laid aside and the men were put to work on the plays and signals.

The squad assembled at four o'clock. Captain Brewer and W. H. Lewis then spent half an hour in explaining plays to the men with the aid of a blackboard. The theory of signals was also made clear. The men were told that they must have their signals and plays committed to memory in two weeks.

When the men reached the field they were set to work falling on the ball for about five minutes. Cabot, Gonterman, Gould, and Newell were the men who had not been out before. There were forty-one candidates on the field.

They were divided into two squads; the first included the old 'varsity men and several of the most promising new men; the second included all the other candidates. From the first squad Captain Brewer picked out a first eleven while Lewis selected a second eleven from the other squad.

The first team which was selected was as follows: Cabot, left end; Hallowell, left tackle; Holt, left guard; Frank Shaw, centre; Jaffray, right guard; Gould, right tackle; Arthur Brewer, right end; Wrightington and Charlie Brewer, halfbacks; Borden, quarter-back; Fairchild, fullback.

After this team had practiced the plays and signals for about twenty minutes, the men were changed on the ends and behing the line. Cabot gave way to Richardson, Newell took A. Brewer's place, Beale supplanted Borden, while Hayes, Gonterman and Dunlop played in place of Wrightington, C. Brewer and Fairchild.

The second eleven as it was first made up, played as follows: Scull, right end; Wheeler, right tackle; Hennen, right guard; Hoague, center; Sargent, left guard; Stevenson, left tackle; Moulton, left end; Hamlen, quarterback; Knox and Redpath, halfbacks; Gierasch, full-back. The men were afterwards shifted so that everyone had a chance to play.

The two elevens lined up for two five minute halves. In the first half the first eleven started with the ball at the centre of the field. On the second play Hayes was given the ball and with the aid of Holt's interference he carried it thirty yards. Gonterman made several good gains by individual work, not following his interference and running back. A touchdown was made within three minutes from the time when play commence.

The second eleven began at once to direct all plays against Jaffray, and several slight gains were made, although Jaffray worked hard. Newell did some good work in breaking up the interference.

When the second half began the men lined up as follows:

FIRST. SECOND.

Richardson, l. e., r. e., Scull.

Continued on second page.