The Religious Life at Harvard.

On May 10, 1886, a vote was passed by the President and Fellows "that five preachers to the University be annually appointed by the president and Fellows with the concurrence of the Board of Overseers, who, in conjunction with the Plummer Professor of Christian Morals, shall arrange and conduct the religious services of the University." The Board of Overseers concurred in this vote on May 12, 1886, and in 1892 it was incorporated in the Statutes of the University. On June 14, 1886 on the unanimous recommendation of the Preachers and the Plummer Professor, the President and Fellows voted: "That the statute numbered 15, concerning religious exercises, be amended by striking out the clause, 'at which the attendance of the students is required'"; aud on June 16 the Board of Overseers concurred in this vote. Attendance at the religious services of the University was thus, by the advice of those who conduct these services, made wholly voluntary.

Under this voluntary system religion is now regarded in the University, not as a part of College discipline and compulsion, but as a privilege and opportunity. The Preachers of the University represent various Christian communions and various parts of the country. Each member of the staff conducts daily morning prayer for a term of three weeks in the first half-year, and a second term of three weeks in the second half-year, and each preacher on four Sunday evenings. The Preacher conducting morning prayers is in attendance for some hours every morning, during his term of duty, at the Preachers Room for the express purpose of meeting such students as desire to consult him. Thus, for six weeks of the year each preacher is College pastor, and sets at the disposal of our students more of his time than most ministers find possible to such service in their own parishes. These personal intimacies of the Preacher's Room are regarded by the Preachers as among the most important parts of their service. On Thursday afternoons, from November till May, Vesper Services are held in the University Chapel, with a brief address from one of the Preachers, and with music from the College Choir, a full male chorus of 25 sopranos and altos, and 16 tenors and basses. The University service on Sunday is held in the evening, with the intention of encouraging students to associate themselves in the morning with the life of a parish church. Seats are provided for students at the expense of the University in the neighboring churches of Cambridge. On one-third of the Sunday evenings in the year the University service is conducted by other preachers of various communions through invitation of the Board of Preachers.

Parents and advisers of young men coming into the University are urged to counsel them to take part in this religious life. Under the voluntary system now accepted in Harvard University, the further development of such interests must proceed chiefly from the influence of the student's homes; and all who are in sympathy with such an undertaking are requested to cooperate with the Preachers to the University.

The Board of Preachers will be glad to have their attention called to any cases of special need where they may be useful, or to any better methods of serving the moral and religious interests of the University. General correspondence should be addressed to the Plummer Professor, though any preacher will gladly consider such questions as may be more appropriately addressed to him.