ON SOLDIERS FIELD.

Two Elevens Line Up for Eight-Minute Halves.

The football practice yesterday afternoon was similar to Monday's practice. All the preliminary work was cut down and the men were formed into two elevens at once.

Fuller '98, and Donald '99, who have been laid off for some time on account of injuries were out again to play. Cozzens '98, who pitched on the freshman baseball nine last spring, and Merriman '96, who played tackle on his class team last fall came out for the first time.

Haughton, Moulton, Donald and Weld were in the first squad when the men separated. Captain Brewer selected his first eleven while Lewis picked out the second. Each eleven began at once to practice signals and continued in this routine work for about an hour.

Then the two elevens were lined up against each other as follows:

FIRST. SECOND.

Cabot, l.e., r.e., Scull.

Hallowell, l.t., r.t., Wheeler.

Holt, l.g., r.g., Hoague.

Shaw, c., c., Hennen.

Jaffray, r.g., l.g., Sargent.

Gould, r.t., l.t., Stevenson.

Haughton, r.e., l.e., Dibblee.

Beale, q.b., q.b., Hamlen.

Weld, h.b., h.b., Gierasch, Knox.

Hayes, h.b., h.b., Gierasch, Knox.

Dunlop, f.b., f.b., Brown.

The first eleven started with the ball. On the third play Hayes was given the ball which he carried thirty yards before he was tackled by Brown. The play drew forth from the spectators the first applause that has been heard on Soldiers Field this year.

After this Weld made several good plays, but Dunlop's fumble gave the ball to the second eleven.

The second eleven could not gain so Brown was called on for a kick. The ball did not get to him, however, on account of off side play.

When the first eleven got the ball again, Hayes made a run across the field, but was unable to gain Weld made a good gain through the centre, but time was called before the first eleven could score.

When the two elevens lined up at the beginning of the second half they were considerdbly changed, the line up being as follows:

FIRST. SECOND.

Moulton, l.e., r.e., Scull.

Hallowell, l.t., r.t., Wheeler.

Holt, l.g., r.g., Hennen.

Shaw, c., c., Hoague.

Jaffray, r.g., l.g. Sargent.

Gould, r.t. l.t. Stevenson.

A. Brewer, r.e., l.e., Thayer.

Borden, q., q., B. Hayes.

Gonterman, h.b., h.b., Redpath.

C. Brewer, h.b., h.b., Cozzens.

Fairchild, f.b., f.b., Harrison.

The second eleven could not make any headway so the ball soon went to the first. Gonterman made a good run of thirty yards by following his interference. Cozzens tackled him outside the line, when the ball was again put in play Fairchild scored a touchdown through Stevenson.

The second eleven took the ball again. Cozzens tried to make a run around the the end but was tackled behind the line by Moulton. Harrison tried to buck the center but failed. On the third play Shaw got the ball by breaking through.

Gonterman tried to run around the end again but Thayer caught him before he had gained any distance. Brewer made a slight gain through right tackle, and Fairchild followed him with a gain of several yards through the hole which Hart made for him.

Charlie Brewer gained ten yards more around the end, but Gonterman again failed to gain his distance. Fairchild, however, advanced the ball five yards and then Charlie Brewer scored a touchdown on a center play.

During the rest of the play Redpath made a good run of ten yards through center and Cozzens added five yards on an end run. After time was called most of the men took a run around the field, while Wrightington, Charlie Brewer, Fairchild, Dunlop and J. Hayes practiced punting.

The practice yesterday had more snap to it than on Monday. Weld showed up to advantage on the first eleven by his good gains through the center. Holt played a strong game at guard, making good holes whenever he was called upon. Dunlop fumbled several times, but Gonterman showed improvement in his running.

Fuller played tackle on the second eleven for a short time and made a good showing against Gould. Both Haughton and Thayer made good tackles on end. Cozzens rushed blindly with the ball, but made several good plays.

Dr. W. A. Brooks, head coach of ihe eleven last fall was out to see the practice. He did not do any active coaching but talked over the faults of the men with Captain Brewer and Dr. Porter. Jack Highlands '93 was among the spectators.

The practice this afternoon will begin, as yesterday, at four o'clock sharp.