Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

VESPER SERVICE.

The Service Conducted by Rev. S. M. Crothers of Cambridge.

The Vesper Service yesterday afternoon was conducted by the Rev. S. M. Crothers of Cambridge. Mr. Crothers spoke on the higher purpose of culture. He said in effect:

Two things may be said to result from mental or spiritual training. First the individual receives personal benefit and, furthermore, his progress is a power, spreading outward, overcoming obstacles and affecting the lives of others.

It is a beautiful thought that the human soul is capable of absorbing for itself the peace, the wisdom, and the worth with which it comes into contact. The student, the poet, the saint are lofty by their attainments.

But this is not sufficient. Man must be more than a passive receiver. The wise man's wisdom must bear fruit in action for others; the good man's goodness must be good for something to others. Indeed the manifestation of power follows naturally after the seemingly selfish culture. Though at first individual application is necessary and fitting, the consequent wisdom and grace must, if they have true worth, burst forth to the assistance of others less fortunate.

When men have received much of love, of wisdom, of charity, it must overflow in streams of blessing and power for good.

The music was well rendered, as usual, and consisted of the following selections: "Give unto the Lord," Parker; "I will lay me down," Brown; and an excellent tenor solo, Mendelssohn's "Hymn of Praise." The last was sung by E. M. Waterhouse '97.