The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

No Headline

The prominence which debating now enjoys at Harvard, should somewhat restrain those who are loudest in their complaints of the undue attention which is paid to athletics. It is of course impossible as yet to compare the interest in debating to that in football or baseball, but the fact remains that the debates with Yale and the preparation for them have risen to much importance in the eyes of the college at large. The tendency which this indicates towards the development of the intellectual abilties instead of the athletic, is one which should be zealously encouraged. The debate this evening between the Harvard Union and the Wendell Phillips Club is an important step in the right direction. It is the best possible means of stimulating a general interest in debate, and developing the capability for it. In the present case, to ensure the success of the first meeting between the two clubs, many of the men are debaters of proven ability. It is to be hoped, however, that such meetings will be repeated in the future for the benefit of less experienced men. They would thus exert a strong influence in spreading the practice of debate and bringing it to the high position in college life which it deserves.