The Pi Eta Theatre.

The new theatre which is being added to the Pi Eta club house will be finished by the first of January, although it will not be used for a theatre until some time in the spring. The auditorium is intended to be used for meetings of graduates, for society meetings, and smoke talks.

The public entrance to the theatre is on Winthrop street and opens directly into the theatre, which seats three hundred and fifty people. A large door leads from the auditorium directly to the hall of the club house making access to the club cafe easy. The theatre is finished in a light buff, the walls having a rough sand coating. It is lighted by electricity.

The stage, raised three feet above the floor, is complete in mechanical contrivances, and the footlights are to be arranged according to the latest ideas, being able to throw colored lights if necessary. Two windows light the stage and a door has been made at one side to admit scenery.

A door in the wings leads to the club house and stairs descend to the dressing rooms below. A heater will warm the whole building by means of two large hot air shafts which go from the stage to the auditorium. The number of electric lights to be used is estimated at one hundred, all of which will be operated from the key-board on the stage.

The new building takes the place of an old ell which contained the kitchen, pantries and store houses of the society. These have been removed to the cellar of the club house. The total cost of the building will be about $10,000, which has been raised by subscription. The committee who have had charge of the building is composed of Edmund A. Whitman '81, Palmer E. Presbrey '85, and Thorndike Spalding '95. The architects who planned the theatre are Jos. R. and Wm. P. Richards of Boston. The latter is a Pi Eta man, class of '76. It is intended to have the dedication exercises of the new building take place as soon after the first of January as possible.