No Headline

Now that it has been definitely settled that the remaining lectures of the Historical Society course are to be delivered in Sanders Theatre, we should like to suggest the use of the stereopticon for producing maps of the desired size. If it is possible to obtain or construct a proper screen the rest of the undertaking ought to be easy. The desired maps can be easily photographed. The negatives thus formed make the lantern slides. A lantern, or more than one, is in the possession of the college, and there are men here who know how to use it. To use this would be much easier work than drawing two large maps by hand. By means of photography any number of maps desired can be sketched in ink and photographed for use in the stereopticon with great ease. Thus a number of different phases of a campaign or battle could be clearly set before the eyes of the audience. Difficult situations could thus be more readily grasped and a better idea of the lectures carried away when it is over. To see is often to understand, and if this plan can be carried out with no more or even less trouble than the present one we shall hope to see it adopted. If it should turn out more costly or troublesome than we think, we should not expect the society, which has done so much for us, to undertake anything greater.