MOTT HAVEN TEAM.

Men to go on the Cinder Track.- Dates Set for the Spring Meetings.

The work of the track team has been progressing very favorably and it looks as if Harvard would be represented in the dual and Mott Haven games by a strong team. The men in the sprints and long runs are all in good training and have been competing in the various indoor games that have taken place this season. Bigelow recently won second from scratch in a 50 yds. dash that was done in the record time of 5 2-5s. A. A. Boyden '98, a new man, has also been doing very creditable work. In the Boston College games he won the novice and handicap 40 yds. dash. The men have been running on the board track and taking light dumb-bell exercise.

Among the longer distance men Hollister is running better than ever this year and Fish is doing very well. Grant won, from scratch, the mile handicap at New Haven, and his performance at Holy Cross was equally creditable. Among the new men who are showing up well are W. F. Dill L. S., C. L. Bouve '99, and O. W. Richardson '99, who won the handicap mile in the Boston College games.

In the shot the prospect is not at all encouraging. A series of shot putting competitions was instituted a short time ago for the purpose of creating greater interest in this event but this result has not been attained. The number of competitors is small and no first class work has been done. The farthest put, 37 ft. 10 3-4 in., was made by E. H. Clark L. S.

In the hammer the outlook is brighter although but two men are now doing regular work. F. G. Shaw, who qualified in this event at the Mott Haven games last year, is throwing 20 feet farther than he did last year at this time. The only other man who is practicing is G. L. Patterson L. S., who comes from Cornell with a record of 123 ft.

The pole vaulters have but recently commenced regular work and it is too early to say anything about them. W. W. Hoyt who holds the Harvard record of 11 ft. 2 3-4 in. has returned to the Medical School and is again with the squad. The broad jumpers have done little so far but will begin systematic work outdoors in a few days.

In the high jump the men are all in the best of condition and have been competing in all the athletic meetings of the winter. A man of unexpected ability has been developed in W. G. Morse '99. Morse, who never jumped before last fall, has shown remarkable ability. His record is very nearly 6 ft. and he has won every event in which he has competed, being scratch man in the last four.

Up to the present time the hurdlers have done little more than keep in training, on account of the bad weather. In the high hurdles, H. L. Williams '97, N. P. Hallowell '97, and F. B. Fox L. S., are the most promising men. Williams, Fox and W. G. Morse '99 are doing the best work in the low hurdles. There are a number of new men in the latter event but nothing can be said as to their abilities until they have worked out of doors for a while.