Choral Class Concert.

The Harvard Choral Class gave Gilbert and Sullivan's opera, "The Pirates of Penzance," in concert form in Sanders Theatre last evening. The class was assisted by Miss Viola Campbell, of Cambridge, Mrs. Grace C. Cooke, Miss Mary W. Edwards, Miss Eva M. Clarke, and Mr. H. B. McAdam, all of Boston; E. M. Waterhouse '97, and F. D. Sawin L. S., and J. F. Neal '97, of the class, as soloists, and by the Germania Orchestra.

The work of the chorus was exceptionally good. All the numbers were given with snap and smoothness and at no time did the opera drag. The large audience applauded especially the solo by Mr. Neal and the chorus, "With Catlike Tread," and the duet of Miss Campbell and Mr. Waterhouse, "All is Prepared."

Mr. Frese said in introduction, that although the present growth and activity in musical matters was gratifying, it might be dangerous because of its rapidity. The number of choral classes is unfortunately few and the opportunities to learn to sing scarce. Since a distinguishing feature of the older nations is their love of music among all classes, it is a worthy aim to try to promote such a love in this country. This can best be done by choral work and for such work the light operas are excellent material.

The concert ended with the singing of "Fair Harvard" by the audience and the class.