Peabody Museum.

Among the recent acquisitions to the Peabody Museum are the Englemann collection of ancient pottery, and the Rindge collection of old stone implements of all kinds.

The Englemann collection was brought together by Dr. Englemann and comprises nearly all the ancient forms of pottery found in the burial mounds of Missouri. In the collection are many forms of water vessels, showing the development from the simple Busycon seashell of Florida. The vessels are made to represent all kinds of animals and also human beings. In this collection there are also some fine specimens of old painted pottery. Besides the specimens from Missouri there are some fine examples of old Roman pottery and numerous stone implements from the Pueblo villages.

Mr. Rindge has just sent a very valuable supplementary collection to the large collection which he gave to the museum in 1883. This latest addition consists of many large chipped obsidian ceremonial implements and came from the Klamath river district of southern Oregon and northern California, where they were washed out in the process of hydraulic mining. In this collection there are also many examples of ancient stone vessels and implements.