Rev. John H. Morison, D.D., of the class of 1831, died last Sunday morning at his residence, 26 Marlboro street, Boston. He was one of Harvard's oldest graduates and one of the oldest ministers of the Unitarian denomination in the country.
Dr. Morison was born in Peterboro, N. H., on July 25, 1808. He was one of seven children and was the last survivor of the family. He fitted for college at Phillips Exeter Academy and was graduated at Harvard in 1831. He attended the Harvard Divinity School but did not graduate therefrom, though his degree of D.D. was bestowed in after years by the University. He first preached at New Bedford and later in Milton. In 1841 Dr. Morison married Miss Emily Rogers, a stepdaughter of Hon. D. A. White of Salem. At the time of his death he was pastor emeritus of the Parish at Milton, but his active pastorate ceased in 1875.
Dr. Morison is survived by his wife, his daughter Mary Morison, and two sons, G. S. Morison '63 and Rev. R. S. Morison '69, librarian of the Harvard Divinity School.
His published works are: "Life of Hon. Jeremiah Smith, LL.D.," Boston, 1845; "Disquisitions and Notes on the Gospel of St. Matthew," Boston, 1860; "The Great Poets as Religious Teachers," New York, 1885. He also was at one time editor of the Christian Register and of The Religious Magazine, afterwards known as The Unitarian Review.