An Answer to the Objections of the Corporation.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

Two chief reasons are given by the Corporation for the proposed abolition of the "Tree scrimmage."

The first is, "that instead of being a good-natured scramble for flowers it has become a fight to pay off old scores." The facts prove this statement to be an exaggeration. I believe the almost unanimous testimony of the men who have witnessed or taken part in the scrimmages of the past few years will bear me out when I say that the following is a more exact statement of the facts: There have been sporadic instances of encounters between quick-tempered individuals. The vaguest rumor is the only foundation for the statement that these men were "scrapping to pay off old scores." It being physically impossible in the thick of the crowd to do anything but push, these "scraps," as they are called, have all occurred on the out skirts. Some of the spectators have taken the conduct of these four or five individuals whom they could best observe to indicate that the men in the thick of the rush were doing something which they could not and would not do. Displays of temper have been rare indeed. The marshalls, with the assistance of an aid or two, could easily prevent all "scraps." General good nature prevails. Every man gets all the flowers he wants. Last year the two gangs that contended to put up a man for the "'96," though determined, were perfectly friendly, as was proved by the fact that the leaders finally decided the matter by the flip of a coin. This first reason for abolition has no weight, because obviously the pleasure of the vast majority should not

Continued on second page.