STUDENT VOLUNTEER WORK.

Review of the Activity in all its Phases During the Past Year.

The Student Volunteer Committee is now entering upon its fourth year of activity. During the past year the Committee has developed its work on the same lines as in previous years. Fifty-nine men desious of undertaking charitable work have come to Mr. Birtwell, of the class of '85, the director of the Committee, at his weekly conferences in Grays 17, and under his guidance have taken up the work best suited to their needs and future careers. The men have undertaken service for the Associated Charities of Boston, the Home Libraries of the Boston Children's Aid Society, the Society for Home Savings, the North End Union, the Italian Mission, the Parker Memorial, the Newsboys' Reading Room and Boys' Club, the Boston Truant School, and the State Reform School for Boys.

Besides thi, twenty-five men, divided into "Amusement Troupes," have cheered the poor and suffering in such institutions as the Cambridge Almshouse, the Boston Home for Incurables, and the Suffolk County Parental School. Groups of students engaged in managing various charitable enterprises like the Sailors' Reading Room, and the Riverside Mission, have found in Mr. Birtwell a friend and an adviser.

The December and June clothing collections yielded a total of fifteen hundred articles which were placed for careful distribution in the hands of well administered charities in Cambridge and Boston, chosen by the director.

The Committee for this year is made up of the following men: M. Donald '99, S. W. Fordyce '98, G. Gleason 1 G., G. D. Marvin '99, J. H. Ropes, Instr., F. R. Stoddard '99, F. C. Sutro '99, G. C. Ward '98, H. Wood, Jr., '98, W. H. Wheelock '98, and A. C. Garrett, Instr.

The consultation hours of Mr. Birtwell, the director, are from nine till eleven every Tuesday morning in Grays 17. Men are cordially invited to call on the director, whether or not they intend to engage in volunteer work.