Soldiers Field Improvements.

The work on Soldiers Field will not be begun until April. The postponement of the improvements for another month has seemed best because by that time the frost will be out of the ground and it will then be possible to ascertain with more accuracy the cause of the bad drainage.

As before stated in the CRIMSON, the field is already supplied with a system of underground piping. It consists of tiles every 45 feet converging to a main pipe which runs into a well at the lower end of the field.

If, as is thought to be the case, the fault lies, not in the drains, but in the heavy soil above, so that the water can not sink through, a large bulk of the old earth must be removed and new substituted. As it would then be impossible to grow a good turf and get the gridiron ready in time for the first games, that part of the field will be left as it is until the rest is finished.

The football field will eventually be placed on the present Freshman field, but running east and west instead of north and south.