FIRST GAME WON.

Tufts Could Not Hit Paine.- A Listless Game.

Harvard started off the season in a decidedly encouraging way, by defeating Tufts on Saturday afternoon by the score of twenty to nothing. Tufts was, however, so weak that it was hard to tell much as to Harvard's real strength. The batting was uniformly good, Harvard making 14 hits, of which Dean had 3 to his credit, and Lynch, Scannell and Stevenson 2 each. Rand made one single and in the fourth inning with two on bases cracked out a pretty home run. It must, however, be remembered that Tufts had only a substitute pitcher.

Harvard's battery work was excellent, Paine only allowing one hit to be made off him and having nine strike outs to his credit; he was, however, rather wild, allowing six bases on balls. He also fielded well, making five assists and no errors. The fielding of the rest of the team was fair, but the men played in a rather too confident way and did not exert themselves enough. Stevenson seems to have improved a great deal in form since last year; he handles himself better and is much quicker and surer. Hayes made one bad fumble, but redeemed himself later by what should have been a double play but for Haughton's error. Haughton played carelessly and as if he felt too secure of his position. Scannell made some clever catches of high fouls.

In base-running Dean and Burgess excelled, with three stolen bases each, and ran with more snap than the others.

For Tufts, Richardson at third put up a good game. The rest of the team played loosely.

Seventeen of Harvard's runs were made in the second, fourth and seventh innings.

The score:

HARVARD.

r. a.b. b.h. p.o. a. e.

Dean. 2b. 3 4 2 2 1 0

Burgess, r. f. 3 3 1 0 0 0

Haughton, 1b. 1 4 2 8 1 1

Scannell, c. 2 6 1 12 0 0

Rand, l. f. 2 5 2 0 0 0

Stevenson, 3b. 3 5 2 1 0 0

Paine, p. 2 4 0 1 5 1

Hayes, s. s. 2 3 1 1 3 2

Lynch, c. f. 2 6 2 2 0 0

Totals, 20 40 13 27 10 4

TUFTS.

r. a.b. b.h. p.o. a. e.

Greul, 1b. 0 4 0 5 0 1

Larkin, 2b. 0 3 0 2 1 0

Smith s. s. 0 3 0 0 0 2

Richardson, 3b. 0 3 0 4 1 0

Butterfield, c. f. 0 4 0 3 0 0

Burton, r. f. 0 4 0 1 0 0

Meader, c. 0 2 1 7 1 2

Crowley, l. f. 0 3 0 2 0 1

Sanborn, p. 0 3 0 0 2 2

Totals, 0 1 1 24 5 8

Two-base hits-Stevenson, Scannell. Three-base hit-Rand. Base on balls-by Paine 6, by Sanborn 10. Struck out-by Paine 10, by Sanborn 6. Umpire-Murray.