WELD-B. A. A. RACE.

To be Rowed at 5 This Afternoon.- Start at Union Boat Club.

Today the Weld intermediate eight will row its last race before the New England regatta, which takes place next Thursday on the Charles River.

The race will be started at 5 o'clock and will be rowed up-stream a distance of a mile and a half, starting at the B. A. A. float and finishing just beyond the last house on the Bay State road.

The contest today will be a match race with the B. A. A. for cups and a banner-the same prizes as offered in the race with B. A. A. two weeks ago. Since their defeat then, the Weld crews have shown considerable improvement, and have taken Blake '99 from the College crew into the intermediate boat, where he has been rowing at 6. They have had constant racing practice, as the three crews have been out together every afternoon and have rowed some fast times rows, doing the mile and a half in 7.50 and the mile under five minutes.

The B. A. A., judging from its splendid race with the Millstreams last Saturday, should win, but the race promises to be much closer than before. The first and second junior eights will not compete, as in the previous race.

The intermediate boat at present is going fairly fast, the men rowing well together and finishing strong. The most noticeable faults are a weakness at the catch and a tendency to rush the slides. The following is an individual criticism of the men:

Dobyns. at stroke, is inclined to meet his oar, and rows it in with his arms. He sets a fast, snappy pace.

Du Bois at 7, also meets his oar, is weak on the catch, but follows well.

Blake, who has been rowing at 6 for the past week, catches on with his shoulders too soon, but otherwise is rowing in good form.

Coleman (capt.), at 5, has his oar too high at full reach, bevels too much, and swings out of the boat. He pulls an exceptionally strong oar.

Garrett, at 4, falls over at the full reach.

Wood, at 3, is slow on the shoot and a little stiff in his body work.

Bancroft, at 2, uses his leg drive too soon and fails to use his shoulders properly.

At bow, Pierce is inclined to be short on his reach and uses his shoulders too much. He swings well in the boat.

An alteration will be made in the boat house this summer to make way for the park system which will include a part of the land the house now occupies.