THE WELD CREW.

Eight to Enter in the National Regatta at Philadelphia.

The Weld senior crew, which won the race in the Metropolitan Regatta last Thursday, is going to philadelphia to row in the National Regatta of Amateur Oarsmen, to be held in that city on August 14. This step has been decided upon as a result of the interest taken in the crew by a number of graduates, among them Mr. Peabody, Mr. Weld, and Mr. Tudor, who witnessed the race.

Judging from the showing made in the race, when the introduction of the new stroke and the untiring efforts of efficient coaches enabled the crew to show their superiority over all others, it would seem that they stood an excellent chance of winning, even from the best club crews in the country. A comparison of times also ranks the crew as one of the very first. Their most formidable rivals will be the crew of the N. Y. A. C., the Atlantas, and the Pennsylvania Barge Club's eight. The men will go to their quarters on the Schuylkill the last of July and will begin work under the direction of Donovan and Youngman, who will do all the coaching. The make-up will be the same as last Thursday, with Harding of the intermediate crew as substitute. The race will be for a mile and a half.

From the first the only drawback to entering the crew was a lack of funds, but the graduates have started the subscriptions very liberally by giving one fourth of the necessary amount, while it is hoped that the rest may be raised by the undergraduates. No canvassing will be done, but a blue-book has been placed in Leavitt's and all who can are asked to subscribe something, in order that the money may be raised before College closes.