YALE'S ATTITUDE.

Good Exposition Given in a Yale News Editorial.

The following is the main portion of the editorial appearing in the "Yale News" of Thursday. It expresses Yale's attitude in the rowing situation.

"We were heartily glad when Yale challenged Cornell, for we earnestly wished to row a return race with the men who beat us so magnificently last spring. But we were also glad to see that Yale had still no wish to compete for any general championship, sticking to her natural rival and making no alliance that could endanger the preeminence of this rivalry. To Harvard we are bound by long series of contests in every branch of sport, by the similarity between the two universities in positions and institutions, by the strong ties of alumni friendships and rivalry, and by our own personal friendship with Harvard men gained for the most part by association at the same preparatory schools. All these things mean much, and have been absolute preventatives to our making binding arrangements with other colleges, which, once begun, could necessarily have no limit.

"It was with regret then that we saw that Cornell apparently did not appreciate our position, and it comes as a relief to know that we had stated it clearly at the Albany conference, and so did not compel her to act in the dark. This knowledge does not lessen our keen disappointment that a race has not been arranged, but enables us to support more firmly the action of Yale's representatives in finally declining a condition that could not be accepted in justice to ourselves.

"Yale last year departed somewhat from her rowing policy by going to Poughkeepsie, but it was in order to resume her relations with Harvard. In this contest she was finely defeated after she had been most courteously received into Cornell's own race on Cornell waters. In looking forward to the race this year, then, which Yale naturally very much desired, it seemed fitting that Yale should in turn row Cornell on Yale's waters and also in Yale's own race with Harvard. Everyone earnestly wished to see this second trial of strength brought about, but it was felt that it must not be done if it involved future obligations. This very point has come up, however, and has put an end to the negotiations, much to the regret of Yale, although every Yale man may feel that it was the only possible course for us to adopt."