Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male


Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest


Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections


City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum


FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End


Drawn up by Three '94 Men at the Request of the Class Secretary.


Marshall Newell was born in Clifton, N. J., April 2d, 1871. He spent much of his early life on his father's farm in Great Barrington, Mass.

In the fall of 1887 he entered Phillips Exeter Academy and graduated with the class of '90. He there became interested in athletics and played football, first on his class, and then on his school team.

He did not allow his studies to suffer, however, as he stood well in his class, and graduated with honor. At Exeter those same qualities which made him so popular with us endeared him to his school mates, and those of them who entered college with him followed him throughout his course with admiration, and with a love which was almost veneration.

He entered Harvard with the class of '94, and soon distinguished himself in athletics, being a member of the victorious football eleven of '90 and of the winning crew of '91, both in his freshman year. He also played on the Freshman football team, and on the University teams of '91, '92, and '93, and rowed on the 'Varsity crews of '92 and '93.

While so prominent a figure in athletics, he by no means neglected the academic side of college life. He was interested in his courses, and always stood well in them. He had the respect and friendship of instructors as well as students. Socially, he was popular as few have been. He was a member of the Institute of 1770, Dickey, Hasty Pudding Club, and Signet. He was the unanimous choice of his class for second marshal on class day. Higher honors he might have had, but he took only such as were forced upon him.

During his college course he returned each summer to his home at Great Barrington, and took up his duties on the farm. In the fall of 1894 he coached the Cornell University football team with remarkable success. After this he again resumed his duties at home, where he remained the greater part of the next two years, except for a brief period, when he was in Boston, in the office of Lorin F. Deland. Each year he was found ready to aid in the coaching of the different teams at Harvard, and his appearance at Cambridge was always greeted with the greatest enthusiasm and inspired the highest confidence.

In the fall of '96 he entered the employ of the Boston and Albany R. R. as Assistant Superintendent of the Springfield Division, a position in which he gained the confidence of all those with whom he came in contact, and which he held up to the time of his death. He was killed on the tracks at Sprinfield, on the evening of December 24th, 1897, while attending to his duties.

Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.