Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

The Advocate.

The number of the Advocate, which appears today, contains two distinctly good bits of prose: One, a paper on Rudyard Kipling, is able and clear-sighted; the other, called "Of the Grain That's Spilled," is a slight but strong story told in a simple and energetic style. It would be a source of gratification if the Advocate would publish more stories of this kind instead of the polite society twaddle which appears so often in its pages.

"Taken on Approval," although clever, is silly and does not justify its length-it is by far the longest contribution in the number. "When I'm Polite," is an anecdote not worth the telling and it is not very well told either. The number contains the usual collection of literary gymnastics under the head of "College Kodaks." One of these, called "My Lady of Boston," is in miserable taste and reminds one of the well known fable of the Fox and the Grapes.

The best poem is the "Ballade of Decadeney," being a retort to Max Nordau, "Lest We Forget" borrows its title as well as its metre from Kipling's Recessional, but beyond this and its religious character the connection is not clear. In fact, the second half of the poem will be a puzzle to the ordinary reader.