Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

A MEMORIAL TO NEWELL '94.

Letter to be Sent to the Graduates by the Committee.

Soon after his death the class of '94 published a memorial of Marshall Newell, drawn up by three of his classmates who knew him best. On January 9 a service was held in Appleton Chapel in his memory. A committee of graduates has now been formed to see to the erection of some permanent monument to his memory. This committee has drawn up the following letter which will be mailed to the different graduates:

BOSTON, February 14, 1898.

DEAR SIR:- It has been felt by a large number of Harvard Graduates that a permanent memorial should be erected to Marshall Newell, who was killed at Springfield, Massachusetts, on December 24, 1897.

He stood for so much as a man and as an athlete, and for so many years gave his services unselfishly for the furtherance of Harvard's interest, that it seems especially fitting that the University, as a whole, should not permit the passage of time to obliterate his memory.

It has been suggested that the most fitting memorial should be in the form of a gate, and the undersigned committee has been appointed to raise a fund for its erection.

Contributions, however small, may be sent to any member of the committee, or to the treasurer, George C. Lee, Jr., 44 State street, Boston, Mass.

William M. Conant ('79), Chairman.

C. W. Bliss ('83).

S. V. R. Crosby ('91).

A. P. Gardner ('86).

F. W. Hallowell ('93.)

H. W. Keyes ('87).

C. T. Bond ('94).

J. H. Sears ('89).

B. G. Waters ('94).

George C. Lee, Jr., ('94), Treasurer.