Football Practice.

The practice of the eleven yesterday was rather less spirited than it has been for several days. It is hard to say whether this was the result of the warm weather or because they had a day's rest. Another circumstance is also responsible, the fact that at this time of the year some of the harder workers are laid up with injuries. Gray has not played for a week on account of a sprained ankle, and Beal did not play yesterday because of water on the knee.

The only men of the first eleven who showed the usual form were Waters and Brewer. Stevenson played unusually well, but he was on the second.

Corbett had an off day. His running was, as a rule, as brilliant as ever, but he showed once or twice a tendency to run backwards when he saw that he was about to be tackled without gain. This is an old weakness of his, and one against which he has striven every year. Besides this, his interference was not so good as usual.

Emmons acted rather sluggishly and was not so skilful in breaking up interference. Wrightington once made a run of fifteen yards round his end. On another occasion he interfered with Jackson's catch, showing poor judgement in tackling him before the ball had dropped.

The second eleven succeeded in making the first do considerable ineffective work. The backs, Beale, Wrightington, and Jackson, were very successful for light men.

The position of left guard is still unsettled. Warren, Laimbeer, and Acton were all tried there. Collamore, who was substitute left end last year, played yesterday for the first time. Baldwin, Connor, and Johnson played at tackle, Baldwin doing rather the best work.