Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

The Index.

The Index for 1897-98 was put on sale night before last. It is an improvement over last year's number in that it is less clogged and defaced with advertisements, and rather better arranged. Thirteen new clubs appear, among them the Golf Club, the Central New York Club, the Shooting Club, the Phi Delta Psi Society, the Fencing Club and others. As against these there are twelve clubs which, because of inactivity, do not appear; such for instance as the Free Silver Club, and the Peripatetic Club.

In their preface the editors explain the lateness of the issue by saying, "The reason for this delay is the desire of the editors to have the membership of the clubs as complete as possible." This in a measure disarms criticism, but it is no excuse for the complete omission of such clubs as the Freshman Banjo and Mandolin Clubs. There are several misprints which are more or less inevitable, but when these occur in the scores of 'Varsity games they become serious.

Still more careless are such statements as that five crews were engaged in last year's boat race, that J. W. Hallowell 1901, played guard on his freshman eleven, that there are two deans of the Law School. Such a blunder as the substitution of three of the Weld crews for the corresponding class crews in the summary of the class races is absolutely unpardonable. Mistakes like these and the omission of the catalogue by buildings rob the Index of fully half its value.