College Nine Defeats the 'Varsity.

The 'Varsity nine was defeated by the College team yesterday afternoon in a six inning game by the score of 11-5. The 'varsity secured six hits to the College nine's five, whereas the College nige was given twelve bases on balls to the 'Varsity's two. The same pitchers were in the box for both teams and all were unusually wild.

The playing of the 'Varsity throughout the game was for the most part loose and erratic. Laughlin, Clark and Haughton all did fair work, but McCornick who was again tried at first was accountable for several costly errors. Behind the bat, Pote was decidedly off in his throwing, but on the other hand did some clever work in handling thrown balls. He also showed up well in the batting, getting two of the 'Varsity's six hits. Rand made one pretty hit for three bases over Davis's head in right, probably the longest hit made on Holmes Field this season.

For the College nine, Galbraith at short and Litchfield at third did the best work.

After the game, the short infield practice brought out the best playing of the afternoon. The men got into the play with more energy, the fielding was cleaner and the throwing was fast and accurate.

The make-up of the teams in the game was:

'Varsity-Laughlin, s. s.; Rand, l. f.; Haughton, 2b; Burgess, r. f.; Lynch, c. f.; Clark, 3b.; McCornick, 1b.; Pote, c.; Schwill, Doran, Clements, p.

College nine-Litchfield, Ewer, 3b.; Sears, l. f.; Lane, Foster, c. f.; Lewis, 1b.; Farrington, Maguire, 2b.; Davis, c.; Galbraith, Beardsell, s. s.