MR. OLNEY'S LECTURE.

Ex-Secretary Speaks on "The International Isolation of the United States."

The second of the series of lectures on "Civic Duties and Reforms" was delivered last evening in Sanders Theatre by ex-Secretary Richard Olney '58, on the subject "The International Isolation of the United States." After being briefly introduced by President Eliot, Mr. Olney spoke in part as follows:

By the international isolation of the United States, I mean that attitude which it has purposely taken outside of the family circle of nations. This rule of isolation took its beginning from the Farewell Address of Washington and since that time it has been continuously handed down,- indeed it could hardly have been more faithfully followed if it had been a part of the constitution.

In reality the Washington rule has a much narrower scope than is generally supposed. Washington's reasons for his position were very simple. The country was young and weak and through geographical separation was naturally aloof from European affairs; it needed time for internal growth and development. Now the country is no longer feeble, science has eliminated distance and our general development has been great.

Nevertheless some of the consequences of treating the Washington rule as continuously applicable have been far-reaching. The best example is, perhaps, to be found in our commercial isolation. Washington meant no such thing and yet the rule has been used as a means of fastening upon the country protection in its most extreme form. But while commercial isolation does not necessarily follow from political isolation, for all that the two policies are allied and being once adopted support each other. Each denotes alike that the nation feels sufficient to itself.

What is the result of this twin policy of commercial and political isolation? We are without a friend among the powers and are regarded as an international poser.

Is this a creditable part for this nation to play? The mission of this country if it has one is not to pose but to act.

For political and commercial reasons this country has much to gain by co-operation with England. Furthermore there is a patriotism of race as well as of country. Further still in such a cooperation lies the best hope not only of the two countries but of the entire world. It is perhaps not too much to hope that in the near future there will be such a union, and this will set an example sure to be of the most important and beneficient influence to mankind.