Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

No Headline

It is to be hoped that the Conference Committee will soon be able to effect some arrangement whereby the present system of examination will be modified. Under the present regime, there seems to be and possibly there can be, no uniformity of method in preparing examination papers. Some instructors give short papers with few questions and expect to have each question pretty thoroughly discussed. Other instructors give long papers with numerous questions. The answers to such questions must necessarily be brief; owing to their brevity they are liable to be faulty, even with the most careful student, and it is not likely that they are ever entirely satisfactory. The objection to long papers holds good especially when the questions are of a theoretical nature; questions of fact are more easily answered in a concise way. Again, even if the short and long papers were equally easy to answer, the fact that they are got up on different plans makes them grievously confusing to the student. Each instructor, of course, understands his own system, but the students can not be expected to do as much.