WARREN HOUSE.

Its Valuable and Well-Selected Departmental Libraries.

To all advanced students sin literature, the opening of the Warren House will be of immense advantage, partly through its convenient location at 12 Quincy street, but mainly through its well-selected departmental libraries. The house itself was generously given by the late Henry C. Warren '76 for the use of the Modern Languages Department. Upon its ground floor have been placed the Child Memorial Library, and the libraries of the French, the German and the Romance Language departments. Other rooms in the house are used for some of the smaller advanced courses in literature, and the large room upstairs is available for meetings of the Modern Language Division. Mr. Warren's own study is used by Professor Lanman's classes and contains the library of the Indo Iranian department. The rooms, all of which are lighted by electricity, give the impression of being too fine, perhaps, for the use that is made of them. They have hard wood floors, are finished in a way that satisfied the desires of a very rich man, and are certainly very attractive.

Of the five collections, the Child Memorial Library is the largest as well as the most valuable. Among its three thousand or more books are numbered the volumes of the "Early English Text Society," the "Chaucer Society," the "Parker Society," the "Percy Society," and the "Shakespeare Society." There are also complete sets of Wycliff's "Latin Works," of Shakespeare, Bulwer, Johnson's "Lives of the Poets," Dickens, Thackeray, Newman, Matthew Arnold, Browning, Tennyson and Stevenson. These are supplemented by many books on general literature and by the books required for reading in the courses on the several periods of English literature. With the exception of the Classical Library this collection is the only one with a special fund of its own to depend upon. Friends and students of the late Professor Child Subscribed a sum, which has a present income of $400.

With its twenty-two hundred volumes, the French Library is also very complete. These include the literary history of the sixteenth, seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth centuries; the history of fiction, of poetry and of the drama; a collection of French drama; the more important dictionaries and the works of the prominent French writers. For French history, there are the works of Michelet, Martin and Godefrey; for reference and research, "Le Dictionarire de l'Academie Francaise," Littre's Dictionary, Larousse's: "Dictionaire Universel" and "La Grande Encyclopedia." Among the complete sets are numbered those of Corneille, La Fontaine, La Rochefoucaud, Molicre, Racine, Madame de Levigne, Montesquieu, Voltaire, Concerdet, Diderot, Rousseau, Buffon, Beaumarchais, Chateaubriand, Mme, de Stael, LaMartine, Hugo, Dumas, Balzac, Taine and Daudet.

The Sanskrit library consists at present of about five hundred well-chosen volumes. Soon there will be very large accessions, which have, come partly from Mr. Warren, and partly from Dr. Fitzedward hall of Marlesford, England, who as a long resident of India and a Professor of Sanskrit at Benares, acquired many rare and ancient books.

Warren House, which also contains a German library of four hundred volumes and a library of two hundred and fifty volumes on the Romance Languages, is intended principally for students in modern language courses. Cards of admission may be had upon the recommendation of instructors in those departments and the privilege will be given as freely as is practicable.