A HARD GAME.

Harvard Wins from West Point, 18 to 0. Strong Defense.--Weak Offense.

In the hardest game of the season to date, the University eleven defeated West Point on Saturday, by a score of 18 to 0. The game was filled with lessons for Harvard. While the defensive work was strong and a great improvement existed at tackles, the offensive playing was undeniably poor. Constant fumbling and looseness in forming plays cost the back-field much distance and often the possession of the ball. At this time in the season, however, a strong defense is the most important element to be developed. In so far as the game showed that the opposing backs could not gain, it was encouraging. The improvement in offense will come later.

The same plan of attack was pursued as in the smaller games. After the first few minutes had proved that Harvard could score around the cadets' weak ends, every other time the ball came into Harvard's possession, the backs were sent into the line. The practice thus gained was of special value, as line plays and not end plays are of most avail against the strong teams to come. In the first part of the game the West Point line forced Harvard to exert every effort to gain by these straight dive plays, but as they weakened in the second half, cleaner play in the Harvard back-field would have insured a larger score.

The strong positions of the Harvard line were the guards and ends. Burden and A. R. Sargent played a fast and consistent game. Campbell and Hallowell also were impregnable on the defense and entered into the offense with dash and spirit. They ran down the field under punts in perfect style. Although responsible for one or two of West Point's minor gains, J. Lawrence played better than he has at any time this season. He was cool and was not guilty of his old fault of offside play.

In the back-field Sawin was the main reliance of the team. After playing every position behind the line this season, he made a success at halfback on Saturday. Besides his running with the ball, which scored the first touchdown of the game, his punts were long and true.

Harvard scored in two minutes of play. After two exchanges of kicks in Harvard's favor, Daly caught Ennis's punt and ran to West Point's thirty-yard line. Gains through the line took the ball to the fifteen yard line, and then Sawin scored on an end play. During the remainder of the half, Harvard scored a second time by steady gains through the opposing line. At no time was the Harvard goal in danger. In the second half, by the same line-bucking tactics, Harvard secured the ball several times on West Point's ten-yard line, but only once, was able to score. Lawrence kicked all three goals.

The line-up follows: Harvard.  West Point. Campbell, l.e.  r.e., Keller. Swain, l.t.  r.t., Bunker. A. R. Sargent, l.g.  r.g., Hopkins. C. Sargent, c.  c., Bettison. Burden, r.g.  l.g., Goodspeed. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Farnsworth. Hallowell, r.e.  l.e., Smith. Daly, q.b.  q.b., Lahm. Sawin, l.h.  r.h., Glade. Warren, Kendall, r.h.  l.h., Rockwell. Devens, f.b.  f.b., Ennis.

Score -- Harvard 18, West Point 0. Touchdowns--Devens 2, Sawin. Goals from touchdowns--Lawrence 3. Umpire--Mr. W. S. Moyle of Yale. Referee--Mr. Langford of Trinity. Linesmen--Reid of Harvard and Grant of West Point. Timers--Little of Harvard and Adams of West Point. Time--Fifteen minute halves.