University Council at Yale.

President Hadley has decided to establish a "University Council" at Yale to assist in the administration of the university. Heretofore the method of managing the various departments has been through a general faculty meeting held once a week, at which all matters pertaining to the department interested were discussed. As a meeting of all the faculty members of the university at once, however, was out of the question, the president was forced to meet each faculty in turn, and discuss the affairs relating to its department. This meant a great waste of time on the president's part, and tended to make the various departments grow farther apart, rather than closer together. One of the first steps taken by President Hadley was to bring about such a change that all departments might profit equally, and, at the same time, a great deal of the wear and tear of management be avoided. During the past week the plans for this have been carefully developed, and an outline of the new arrangement discussed with the faculties.

It is the plan of President Hadley to have the faculties of the academic, scientific and graduate departments meet regularly, with their deans as the presiding officers, as well as the faculties of the Law, Medical, Theological and Art Schools. The dean system will be carried out to its fullest possibilities, and will be made the organization unit of the university. Each dean is to become the working head of his department. The council will consist of not more than fifteen members.