Yesterday's Practice.

The practice of the eleven yesterday was marked by strong defensive work on the part of the line-men, and by brilliant long runs by the backs. The steady line-bucking which has been the plan of attack in all the practice games was given up for end plays. Against the weak ends of the second eleven they were very effective. Eaton, who has not been able to play since the Williams game, was allowed to play a short time, but soon gave place to J. Lawrence. Donald also played left tackle in the second half and greatly strengthened the line by his aggressiveness.

A feature of the practice was the return to the guard-back play which was used for the last two years. Barnard, who played at left guard in place of Boal, tried to rush with the ball, but with little success. Although one or two yards were sometimes gained on the play, it was in no sense effective. Campbell and Hallowell, although they played well at times, allowed the second eleven backs to get past them twice for runs of twenty or thirty yards. Except for these runs, the defensive work of the first eleven was perfect.

The combination in the back field proved particularly effective, since thirty-three points were scored, principally by long end runs. Sawin played his best game of the season. In addition to strong punting, he scored three touchdowns by long runs, kicked three goals from touchdowns and two goals from the field. Daly also made some long runs after catching punts.

Ellis scored the only touchdown in the first half. Once the first eleven rushed the ball up to the second's goal-line, but was unable to push it across. Although R. Lawrence was outpunted by Sawin, poor tackling by Campbell and Hallowell allowed the second eleven to take the ball twice to the first's ten-yard line. Strong defensive work, however, prevented scoring.

In the next half, a fumble by the second eleven gave the first the ball and Sawin scored on the next play. After Daly had returned the next kick-off, the first held the second for downs and then rushed the ball near enough for Sawin to kick a goal. As soon as the first obtained the ball again Barnard was tried at guard back, but could not gain. On the exchange of kicks Sawin again scored. Another goal from a fair catch and another touchdown by Sawin ended the half.

The line-up follows: First.  Second. Campbell, l.e.  r.e., Hoxie. Swain, Donald, Blagden, l.t.  r.t., Peyton. Barnard, l.g.  r.g., Rainsford. C. Sargent, Greene, c.  c., Kasson, Wheeler. Hollingsworth, Burden, r.g.  l.g., Talbot, Lee. Eaton, J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Lewis, Spratt. Hallowell, r.e.  l.e., Gray, Hawkins. Daly, q.b.  q.b., E. Motley, Blakeley, Edmunds. Hurley, Sawin, l.h.  r.h., Martin. Warren, r.h.  l.h., Noyes, Fairweather. Ellis, f.b.  f.b., R. Lawrence, Jaynes.