President Hadley Inaugurated.

Professor Arthur Twining Hadley, was inaugurated President of Yale yesterday afternoon. The innovations introduced in the ceremonies were in accord with the departure from tradition in the selection of a layman to fill the presidential office. The Latin oration, which has been pronounced at every previous inauguration, was omitted this year, and in its stead a chorus of one hundred Yale undergraduates, accompanied by a symphony orchestra of fifty pieces, was introduced. The exercises, which were very simple, consisted of a march to the chapel, where the inauguration oath was administered by the Reverend Joseph H. Twitchell, an address of welcome by Professor G. P. Fisher, dean of the Divinity School, prayer and benediction by Dr. Timothy Dwight, and a reception to the new president, held in the Art School. In the evening the campus was illuminated, and there was a large procession of undergraduates. The procession to the chapel began to move about two o'clock. All the members of the Yale Corporation and Faculty wore the academic gown and blue hood. Dr. Hadley wore a crimson hood, signifying the degree of Doctor of Laws which he has received from Harvard, and President Eliot wore a blue hood, indicating his degree of Doctor of Laws from Yale.

When the guests had entered the chapel, the LXV Psalm was sung followed by Luther's hymn, "Ein Feste Burg," both of which have been sung at every inauguration in Yale's history. The inauguration exercises opened with prayer by Dr. Dwight, after which the formal inauguration of President Hadley took place. Dr. Twitchell's address was extemporaneous, consisting of a few simple remarks.

Professor Hadley's inaugural address followed. He spoke at length on some of the problems which Yale is now facing, touching on the development of professional schools as the first of the disturbing elements in college education; the elective system and its tendency to obscure the spirit of democracy; and declared the central problem to be, how to make the educational system meet the world's demands for progress on the intellectual side, without endangering the most valuable growth on the moral side.

He next took up the mission of preparatory schools in fixing moral and social position, afterwards speaking briefly on the question of college expenses, and the preservation of student interests, and discussing at some length the value of athletic sports. He concluded by explaining the fundamental differences of Yale's organization from that of other American universities, comparing Yale with Oxford and Cambridge.

Professor Hadley's cabinet was completed yesterday by the election of F. Tyler to be university treasurer, in place of W. W. Farnam, who has held the office for eleven years, practically during the whole of President Dwight's administration.