U. of P.'s University Club.

The following extracts from some letters concerning Houston Hall at the University of Pennsylvania, which were printed in this paper two years ago should be of unusual interest at this time PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 18, 1897.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

In reply to your query as to the position the Houston Club occupies as a social factor in the university, it seems hardly necessary to say that the hopes of those who were interested in its establishing have been most fully realized. It has brought together all classes and departments, has centralized all, or nearly all of the organizations which the university supports--its athletic association, publications, religious and literary societies, besides affording meeting rooms for committees and classes. It has become in fact the centre of university life. It is confined to no special department of the university nor is it in its influence more or less beneficial to students possessing social position and means than to those who possess neither. In other words, it appeals to all sorts of students and inasmuch as the club does this is its influence a broadening one and of the most vital use to the university.

In the billiard and pool rooms, bowling alleys and swimming pools, there are provided opportunities for harmless amusement-- one of the chief objects of such a club--as well as opportunities for the students in the various departments to come into contact making them feel that they have interests in common and seeming to unify and strengthen university spirit.

One of the most important results accomplished by the club is seen in the weakening of much of that spirit of snobbishness which was previously so strong, particularly in the classes of the college department and which used to be an element most injurious to class spirit and college loyalty. The members of the club are brought together socially in the fortnightly smokers and by the entertainments given by the Glee, Mask and Wig, and Garrick Clubs in the Auditorium.   THE PENNSYLVANIAN.

A movement for a building to meet the religious and social needs of the students of the University of Pennsylvania was inaugurated by the Y. M. C. A. of that university on December 18, 1892, at a mass meeting of the students. $6000 was raised by subscription and the Houston family gave the rest of the money necessary to erect the club building. The hall was opened on the second of January, 1896, and the club formed, all students and alumni being eligible for membership. The annual dues are but two dollars, and these fees, together with the income from the games and baths are credited to the maintenance account.

On entering the club house the visitor is at once ushered into a spacious reception room, with couches, lounges, and easy chairs. To the right is a large billiard room, and to the left a well-equipped reading room. Two handsome stairways furnished with cosy window seats lead to the second story. Here the public services of the Y. M. C. A. are held, and general entertainments. The rooms of the athletic-association and also those of the Y. M. C. A. are on this floor. The third floor contains the offices of the college papers, the headquarters of the musical clubs, meeting rooms of the medical and other societies; also a kitchen. The basement contains the bowling alleys, a small gymnasium, and the swimming pool. Dressing rooms, baths, etc., are amply provided.