Changes in Medical School Curriculum.

Beginning with this year, a new arrangement and method of teaching the subjects of the first two years will be followed at the Medical School. The entering class will devote the entire first half year to the study of anatomy and correlated subjects, and the last half year to physiology and its correlated subjects. Second year students will study Pathology and Bacteriology until February and will spend the last four months in preparing for the clinical work of the third and fourth years.

It is believed that this logical arrangement of the subjects of the first two years will enable the student to concentrate his energies on each course to a much greater advantage than he can when his daily attention is divided among several courses. Another advantage of this method is that it greatly increases the amount of time which can be devoted to each separate course.

The mass of knowledge in every department of medicine has accumulated in past years to an extent that makes it impossible for a single professor to master all completely. The field of knowledge in any one special branch is large enough to entirely engross the whole study of one man. To conform to this increase, a method of instilling into the student a scientific power of observation in place of text-book knowledge will be introduced. The lectures will explain the laboratory work instead of making the laboratory work instead of making the laboratory work explain the lectures, as heretofore. Instead of running four full courses through the year, the college year will be divided into two halves, running whole courses from September to February, and whole courses from February to June.