THE FIRST GAME

Harvard to Play Williams on Soldiers Field at 3 o'clock.

The Varsity plays Williams this afternoon on Soldiers Field at 3 o'clock. The game is important not only as opening another football season which is hoped will be as successful as last fall's, but also as a means of testing the more prominent candidates for the eleven. The line-up follows: Campbell, l.e.; Swain, l.t.; Boal, l.g.; Sargent, c.; Burden, r.g.; Eaton, r.t.; Hallowell, r.e.; Daly, q.b.; Parker, l.h.b.; Kendall, r.h.b.; Reid, f.b.

In anticipation of today's game with Williams, the line up yesterday lasted only three minutes. In that short time, by strong aggressive playing, the 'Varsity scored once on the second eleven. Hard as was the playing while it lasted, nevertheless the interference was but fair, and the handling of the ball only ordinary. The most noticeable fault developed by the backs was that of starting before the ball. This, of necessity, prevented any concerted action on the part of the whole eleven. While the line-men heretofore have not been getting the start on their opponents, yesterday they showed some improvement in that phase of the game, which is the first requisite of hard, fast playing.

There are still, of course, many individual faults, which the practice or the coming weeks is sure to minimize. Yet nearly all the players have been picking up, little by little, those finer points which are not usually displayed until later. That cannot help being the case, however, for the competition is so close that two or three men could be found to fill with credit almost any position. Only in the centre is there a certain weakness. But the appearance yesterday in the play of A. R. Sargent will do something toward strengthening that part of the line. As Kendall is now playing rather better at right half than at left, there is little to choose between the three backs--Kendall, Warren and Parker. A bit unsatisfactory, still, is the work of the tackles. Eaton plays too desultorily; and Swain, who was so strong a tackle two years ago on the 'Varsity, has not yet even approached the excellence of which he is capable. Though apt to become over-anxious and get off-side, J. Lawrence, it would seem, has some chance of supplacing Swain. To hold his place, the latter must show some of that improvement, which has characterized Reid's playing. Yet the season is still so early, that there is chance enough through the excellent coaching that is being given by W. H. Lewis L. '95, P. D. Haughton '99, M. Donald '99, J. E. N. Shaw 2L., W. L. Garrison, Jr., '97, and by head-coach Dibblee, for the players, individually as well as together, to smooth over their weaknesses and to develop to the full their strong points.