DEATH OF DEAN EVERETT.

Harvard Loses an Eminent Scholar and an Influential Man.

Charles Carroll Everett, Bussey Professor of Theology and Dean of the Harvard Divinity School died early yesterday morning at hi home on Garden Street. He had been gradually failing in health for the last two years, and since college opened, he had been able to fulfill his college duties only at long intervals. The last time he went out for any distance was in attending the funeral of the late Reverend Harold Addison '96, curate of the Advent Church, Boston, who died about three weeks ago.

Dr. Everett was born in Brunswick, Maine, on June 19, 1829. In 1850 he received his degree of A. B. from Bowdoin College, and three years later his master's degree. He was made S. T. D. (Bowdoin) in 1870, L.L.D. (Bowdoin) in 1894, and S.T.D. (Harvard) in 1874. For the four years following 1853 he was librarian and professor of modern languages at Bowdoin from 1855 to 1857. At that time he came to the Harvard Divinity School, and spent two years in study. In 1859 he was ordained at Bangor to his first and only parish. The Independent Congregational Church of Bangor. Here he stayed for ten years, until he was called to Harvard to fill the chair of Bussey Professor of Theology, which he held up to the time of his death. From 1878 he was Dean of the Divinity School.

Professor Everett conducted three courses in Philosophy at Harvard. Philosophy 6, "The Psychological elements of Religious Faith;" Philosophy 13, "The Comparative Study of Religion"; and Philosophy 7, "Theism and the special contents of Christian Faith." Especially in Philosophy 7, was his influence felt by the many students of various religious creeds who took the course. If the extant notes of these lectures can be collected and published with any necessary editing a great service will be rendered to the study of theology. Following is a list of his published works:

"Ethics for Young People." "Eulogy on Abraham Lincoln." Fichtis Science of Knowledge." "The Gospel of Paul." "The Harvard Divinity School." "Human Nature not Ruined but Incomplete" "Joint Heirs with Christ." "Leonard Woods." "The Natural History of Dogma." "The Ostrich." "Phillips Brooks." "The Poems of Emerson." "Poetry, Comedy and Duty." "The Psychology of the Vedenta and Sankhya Philosophies." "Recent Studies in Buddhism." "The Relation of Jesus to the Present Age." "The Relation of Modern Philosophy to Liberalism." The Science of Thought; a System of Logic." "The Sea." "The Theology of Uniterians." "The Ultimate Facts of Ethics."

This summer, even, in spite of his failing health, Dr. Everett was busy with literary work. On his return from a short trip abroad, he edited the New World, in the absence of the regular editor, Professor Gilman. His last work was an article for the September Atlantic, on "James Martineau."

A year ago last June, on the seventieth anniversary of Dr. Everett's birthday, his friends and pupi's held a dinner in his honor at the Hotel Vendome. The occasion was also the thirtieth anniversary of his appointment to a professorship at Harvard.

Dr. Everett's death has left a gap that will be hard to fill. No mere mention of his attainments as a theologian, or as a man of letters can pay the needed tribute to the man. His personality will always be reflected in the work of the many young men who studied under him and who learned from him much more than could be taught by precept, thesis, or text-book.