SOME IMPROVEMENT.

The First Team Scores Three Times.-Defensive Work Still Weak.

The general work of the first eleven was somewhat snappier than it has been recently and the men showed a little improvement in team play. On the offense the mass play interference was better than it has been and the end running was fairly effective. There was still a great deficiency in the defensive work and it was to this that the coaches gave most of their attention. The men seemed slow and lacked the fighting spirit which is the great factor in a strong defense. There was also a general failure to follow the ball closely. The left side of the line was very weak, and Mifflin of the second team broke through it repeatedly for gains varying from five to twenty yards.

Captain Daly, at the advice of the doctors, remained out of the practice yesterday, but he will probably be out today. Hallowell and Campbell went into the game for a short time, and Ellis and Sawin were in the signal practice. Kendall is still unable to play because of a badly bruised arm.

The practice game between the first and second elevens lasted forty minutes. The first eleven scored three touchdowns, all of which were the result of long end runs. The bulk of the work was defensive and Stillman punted on almost every occasion when the first team got the ball. The first touchdown was made by Putnam, and after a long period of only fair defensive work by the first team Stillman scored two more.

The line-up: First Eleven.  Second Eleven. Hallowell, Ristine, r.e.  l.e., Motley. J. Lawrence, R. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Whitwell. Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Carroll, Rainsford. Sargent, Burnett, c.  c., Greene. Lee, l.g.  r.g., Grew. Graydon, l.t.  r.t., Lewis, Spratt. Campbell, Clark, l.e.  r.e., Gay, Clark, Morse. Fincke, Baldwin, q.b.  q.b., L. Daly. Putnam, Kernan, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Lawrence, Ives. Brayton, Swann, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Jaynes, Derby. Stillman, f.b.  f.b., Mifflin.