CREWS LEAVE TODAY

Last Row on Charles. -- Everyone be at Square at 2.15 to Cheer the Men.

By W. Burden.

The University crew with five substitutes and part of the Freshman squad will leave the square at 2.15 this afternoon. J. L. Saltonstall '00, manager of the University crew and D. F. Downs and H. T. Emmons, managers of the Freshman crew, will leave at the same time. The train starts from Boston at 3, arriving at New London in time for the men to reach the quarters for supper. A few of the Freshmen, on account of an afternoon examination, will remain until the 7 o'clock train, which reaches New London at 10.

Yesterday afternoon the crews took their final practice on the Charles. A large procession, headed by the band, formed in the Yard, and, marching down to the river, gathered on the bank beside the boat house to cheer the men. The University eight was the first to leave the quarters and rowed up and down several times before the floats. Following is the regular order: Stroke, Higginson; 7, Sheafe; 6, H. Bancroft; 5, Ladd; 4, Shuebruk; 3, Wood; 2, Harding; bow, Biddle; cox., Wadleigh.

The four oar was already on the water, rowing as follows: Stroke, G. Bancroft; 3, McConnell; 2, Henderson; bow, Bullard; cox., Howe.

The work of the crew seemed especially smooth and clean, showing a hard drive and quick recover. To all appearances the eight should be rowing in excellent form with the two more weeks of coaching left them.

The Freshman eight was the next to leave the float, rowing as follows: Stroke, Roberts; 7, Ayer; 6, Whitwell; 5, James; 4, McGrew; 3, Hartwell; 2, Switzer; bow, George; cox., Litchfield. The substitute four were also on the water in the shell which they will use at New London. Stroke, Greenough; 3, Graydon; 2, Foster; bow, Bowditch; cox., Stokes. This boat is an improvement on the coxswainless four used by the Freshman substitutes last year, and the crew will be better able to give the University four trial races. Both University and Freshman crews will occupy the same quarters as last year.

Besides Mr. Storrow, who will accompany the crew, D. M. Goodrich '98 and N. W. Tilton '00 will go with the Freshmen and it is probable that Mr. Mumford will also be at the quarters during part of the two weeks before the race. C. H. Schweppe '02, assistant manager, has been preparing Red Top for the crew, so that everything will be in readiness when the men arrive. The John Harvard will be on hand for Friday's practice, and also the shells which were sent on last night. These are the two eights, two fours, a barge, two pair oars and a single.

Everybody who possibly can should be in front of the Co-operative at 2.15 this afternoon to cheer the crews when they leave for New London.