PORTRAIT OF MAJOR HIGGINSON

For the Main Hall of the Union. Money Necessary Now Being Raised.

The collection of a fund for the fitting up of the Harvard end of the living-room of the Union is well under way. Some weeks ago, when the plan of collecting the sum of $6,000 was first made public, the committee, in its notice in the CRIMSON, refrained from stating the primary purpose of the collection: This was to have a portrait of Major Higginson painted by Sargent to be hung in the Union if the necessary amount could be raised. At that time Major Higginson had not been approached, on the subject. Recently, however, he has been notified of the intention of the students and has promised to sit for the portrait. Mr. Sargent is now in London and Major Higginson will probably have the portrait painted their as he is going abroad in the latter part of March or the beginning of April. The committee is now canvassing the dormitories for cash subscriptions, and circulars will soon be sent to non-resident students. It is hoped that the amount raised will be sufficient for the portrait and also for a large Harvard shield to be set into the panelling above the fire-place at the Harvard end of the living-room.