Yale Notes.

A supplement to the Alumni Weekly published recently, announces several very important lectures to be given before the university during the midwinter. Among others, Hon. Whitelaw Reid will deliver a lecture in the latter part of February on some topic connected with literature. In the Dwight Hall lectures Mrs. Ballington Booth of the Salvation Army and Mr. Booker T. Washington will speak. Professor Dyee of Oxford, England, is announced for an important address before the Archaeological Institute.

At a recent call for candidates for the track team 112 men reported from the four classes. The middle distance men were more numerous than the candidates for the other events, numbering thirty-eight, all except two being upper-classmen. Besides these there were twenty-three short distance men, twenty-six long distance men, eight hurdlers and seven weight men.

Dr. Gustav A. Andreen, at present instructor in Scandinavian at Yale, has been nominated for president of Angustana College, Illinois, by the trustees of that institution. Dr. Andreen graduated from Yale in 1894 and spent four years in postgraduate study holding a fellowship and acting as instructor in German till 1898 when he took charge of the department of Scandinavian.

The class hockey games will be played this week at Lake Whitney. The teams will be made up from those who have not played on the university team in any intercollegiate hockey match.

At a meeting of the Yale Union last Friday the officers for the second half year were elected as follows: President, R. O. Wells '01; vice-president, J. A. Valentine '02; secretary, C. M. Deforest '01; treasurer, I. G. Phillips; executive committee, R. V. Spencer '01, Mason Trowbridge '02 and R. H. Ewell '03.