Chess Prospects.

The prospects of a strong cchss team this year are not very encouraging, and a great effort will have to be made to develop good material. The Chess Club has been greatly weakened by the loss of E. R. Perry '03, and the only men now in College who have had intercollegiate experience are G. E. Hyde '02, Estes '04, and Baker '04.

A preliminary meeting of the club will be held on Wednesday for the election of officers, and a second meeting will be held on Wednesday of next week, at which new men may join. Weekly meetings will then be held, provided enough interest is shown to warrant them. In the course of the year there will be frequent simultaneous performances by Mr. G. H. Walcott of Boston, E. E. Southard '97. C. T. Rice '01, and others.

Several matches will be played during the year, the most important being that one with Yale, to be held in Cambridge on the night before the Harvard-Yale football game. There will also be the intercollegiate and international matches, and, in all probability, a telegraphic match with the University of California. In addition to these matches there will be weekly or fortnightly matches in the Boston Chess League, in which ten men from the club will be entered.

The fall tournament will be held earlier than usual this year, owing to the necessity of developing new material. Blue-books will be placed at Sanborn's and at Leavitt's on Wednesday of this week, and entries, at 25 cents, will be received until Wednesday, October 9.

All men, Freshmen in particular, who have any ability in playing chess are urged to enter the tournament, and special opportunities will be offered to anyone who shows promise of becoming a good player. The four men getting the highest average in the fall tournament will represent the University in the intercollegiate tournament; and the first ten men will be representatives in the matches with Yale, University of California, and the less important matches. The last man of these ten may at any time be challenged by another member of the club, and, if beaten, must resign his place to his opponent.