SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT.

First Eleven Scores Twice Without the Regular Backs.

The practice yesterday showed a slight improvement. The first eleven played more spiritedly and was able to gain repeatedly through the line, but fumbled considerably. The gains were, however, due to individual efforts rather than team play. In the preliminary work the linemen were given practice in tackling, warding off and dodging, while the ends and backs went through signal practice. Campbell was out and coached the men but did not play. Bowditch did light work only. He is getting into good condition and will be able to play next week. Randolph, Robinson, Sugden, Meier, J. T. Jones, and Wright are still out of the practice with injuries.

In the line-up, Ristine, Kernan and Putnam did not play and substitutes took their places. The first eleven scored twice through long end runs and gains through the line. Blagden and Cutts were able to open wide holes but neither was able to advance the ball. Cutts was slow in starting and Blagden did not hit the line hard enough. Barnard was effective on the defense. Marshall directed the plays with good judgment, and ran back kicks brilliantly. Derby at times followed his interference well, but most of the time had a tendency to run back. Graydon hit the line well and made many substantial gains. On the defense he backed up the line efficiently and helped to break up the plays. Jones ran with speed and hit the line hard. The entire first eleven played well on the defense, preventing the second from gaining first down once.

Jones fumbled the kick off, but recovered the ball. Neither eleven was able to gain during the first few minutes, the ball remaining on the 30 yard line. Then Cutts gained five yards but Graydon fumbled on the next play and the second eleven secured the ball. Motley regained the ball on a fumble and advanced it 10 yards. Gains by Derby and Jones brought the ball to the middle of the field where Dodge got the ball on a fumble. Boyd punted to Marshall who ran the kick back 40 yards. Gains by Graydon and Derby brought the ball to the 7 yard line, whence Jones made a touchdown. Motley caught the punt-out and Cutts kicked goal.

Marshall ran the next kick off back 35 yards. Jones gained 20 yards around left end. Gains by Graydon through the line and an end run by Derby brought the ball to the 15 yard line. By short gains through the line Graydon advanced the balkier the second touchdown. The first eleven failed to catch the punt-out. Lawrence ran the kick-off back 12 yards. Blagden then gained 5 yards, but on the next play Jones was tackled for a loss. A fumble prevented the first from gaining and Mifflin punted. The second was held and Boyd punted. Swann gained 5 yards through Waters, who played against Blagden. On the next play Swann went around left end for 25 yards. Short gains around the ends and through the line brought the ball to the second eleven's 45-yard line where the first again fumbled and the second secured it. Boyd punted with the wind and the ball rolled over the goal line. Time was then called.

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Clark, r.e.  l.e., Macdonald Cutts, Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Dodge Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Force Roberts, Sargent, c.  c., King, Roberts Lee, l.g.  r.g., Rainsford, Riggs Blagden, l.t.  r.t., Lyon, Waters Motley, l.e.  r.e., Thayer, Littig Marshall, Matthews, q.b.  q.b., Parker Jones, Swann, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Taylor Derby, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Ives Graydon, Mifflin, f.b.  f.b., Boyd