Fumbling and Offside Play.--First Scores a Touchdown and a Safety.

The practice yesterday was not very encouraging. There was a great deal of fumbling and offside play, and uncertainty in the handling of plays. The second secured the ball three times on fumbles and once held the first for downs on the 5 yard line. The first could make only small gains and on the defensive had difficulty in stopping the guards-back formations of the second. The linemen on both elevens were slow in charging and did not play low enough.

The injured men are getting into fairly good shape, but Ristine and Cutts are now out of the game, the former because of an injured shoulder, which will prevent his playing this week, the latter with a bruised thigh, which will probably be all right in a few days. Derby is improving and will be able to play in a day or two. Meier was out in football clothes yesterday and jogged around the field, but did not take part in the practice. Devens, Putnam, Randolph and Bowditch took part in the signal practice, but not in the line-up.

Shortly after the first kick-off the second eleven secured the ball on a fumble on the 10-yard line, but was held for downs. End runs by Kernan carried the ball well down the field, and then by steady gains through the line the first scored a touchdown, Graydoa carrying the ball over.

The two elevens practiced variations of the guards-back formation for about 15 minutes and then lined up again. The first seemed unable to break up these formations and could score only a safety during the rest of the play.

Shortly after the kick-off Force secured the ball on a fumble on the first's 35 yard line, from which point the second advanced 15 yards and were then held for downs. The second recovered the ball on a fumble on the 30 yard line where again they were held for downs. Kernan punted out of danger. The second made several gains through the line, but Barnard secured the ball on a fumble and ran 50 yards. The first then advanced to the 5 yard line, where they were held for downs. Parmelee fell back to punt but the line did not hold and the first scored a safety. At the end of the practice the second had the ball in the middle of the field.

The line-up: FIRST ELEVEN.  SECOND ELEVEN. Burgess, r.e.  l.e., Macdonald Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Dodge Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Force Sargent, c.  c., Lyon, Roberts Greene, Lee, l.g.  r.g., Grew O'Connell, l.t.  r.t., Knowlton Campbell, Cooper, Littig, l.e.  r.e., Percival Marshall, q.b.  q.b., Parker Jones, Swann, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Taylor, Pettit Kernan, Mifflin, l.h.b.  r.h.b., tone, Kent   l.h.b., Greenough, Kerans Graydon, f.b.  f.b., Parmelee