Professor Putnam's Work.

Professor Putnam, Curator of the Peabody Museum, has just returned from an extensive trip in the West, where he has been engaged in research, and advisory work. Most of the time he has been in California carrying on investigations of the question of the antiquity of man.

While engaged in his work in California, Professor Putnam was invited by President Wheeler, of the University of California, and by Mrs. P. A. Hearst, one of the regents, to organize a department of Anthropology in the University. Mrs. Hearst has donated 850,000 a year for five years for research in Anthropology, and Professor Putnam is chairman of the committee in charge of the research. Some portion of the fund will be devoted to the exhaustive study of geological deposits, to try to ascertain when man first appeared in California, and some will be used to study the great variety of Indian languages and myths of California.

In addition Professor Putnam brought back a few specimens for the Peabody Museum.

W. C. Farabee 3G. and A. M. Tozzer 2G. have been engaged all summer upon special work under the supervision, at the start of Professor Putnam. The former has been in New Mexico exploring the ancient ruin of a small pueblo and also a burial place, while the latter has begun to study the myths and language of the Navajo Indians.